If an aid agency is to use its funds economically and effectively, it needs to know more than what the effect of its action on the target group should be. It also needs to ask itself the following questions on a regular basis:
Are we doing the right things?
- Are we improving the situation of the target group?
- Are we contributing to the achievement of overarching goals?
- Are we setting the right priorities?
Are we doing things properly?
- Are we achieving our objectives?
- What have we done well, and what not?
- Have the target group’s expectations been fulfilled?
How can we do things better?
- What should we do differently in future?
- How can we have a greater impact with the same inputs?
- How can we achieve the same impact with less inputs?